Yaesu FTM-400DR Microphone Extension

Stock configuration

Picked up a FTM-400 for use in the shack and quickly concluded that I did not care to have the transceiver body near the operating position as would be mandated by the length of the stock mic cord.

The factory mic extension cable is crazy expensive so I began to poke around the net for alternatives. What I found only partially filled my needs I wanted a solid jack which I could mount in the shack.

As Yaesu uses a RJ12 6 conductor setup for the mic, finding off of the shelf telecommunications parts to extend mic jack was not a problem.

Parts

I shopped around Amazon.com and ordered the following piece parts. All in the parts were less than $15. And will provide a solid remote jack and in my case 7 feet of cord to remote locate the transceiver body.

• RJ12 Modular Keystone coupler
  • Keystone surface mount box, the item I ordered came with a couple of wood screws and a piece of double-sided tape.
  • RJ12 Cable, available in several lengths, I used a 7 foot cable.
  • Split type 31 ferrite choke from my parts bin. Sourced from Arrow Electronics.
Keystone coupler, keystone surface mount and 7 feet of flat satin modular cable

Keystone coupler, keystone surface mount and 7 feet of flat satin modular cable

IMG_3837

Ensure that your cable is straight through

Attach cable to keystone jack, insert into keystone surface mount and secure cable with supplied tie.

IMG_3839

Cable inserted into coupler and snapped into surface mount

Attach cover

IMG_3840

Cable assembly completed

Apply an RFI choke for good measure

IMG_3844

Extension cord with RFI choke attached to radio

Pat yourself on the back, another successful shack project.

IMG_3843

Installation complete

73’s Until next time, Jay

1. George Hoefer says:

Hello’
    My name is George N9WSQ. I was wondering if you would make me one of these extension cables for my FTM-400 DR. And sell it to me. Just let me know what it would cost me.

George,

There is really nothing for me to make. I would be happy to provide the Amazon part numbers which on receipt just plug together.

Jay

2. Dan says:

Hi Jay, just came across this article… Some members of our club in PA might be interested in doing this as a project… Can you please forward the amazon part numbers or links that you used for it?

thanks
    Dan Z (AA3O)

Dan,

These are the Amazon ASIN numbers, search for them individually on Amazon.com.

B000I97MYU
      B006IKHB12
      B006IKHDZG

73 and have fun, Jay

• Dan says:

Thanks Jay, Kevin and I both have the FTM-400 and extending the Mic is “one of those things”… 🙂
        Appreciate the pointers to parts!

3. Kevin, KW3P says:

I just saw your article, and your reply to George. Would you supply the part numbers so that I may order them through Amazon? Thank you. Kevin, KW3P

Kevin,

These are the Amazon ASIN numbers, search for them individually on Amazon.com.

B000I97MYU
      B006IKHB12
      B006IKHDZG

73 and have fun, Jay

4. Jim says:

I built my own from parts acquired from my local ACE hardware store. The RJ12 6 pin connectors are available in a multi pack. and an RJ12 inline female connector. You will also need the crimping tool.Then build the cable to desired length using cat5 cable. Connect one end of the new cable to the radio and other to the RJ12 inline female. Connect your microphone to the other female port and you are back on the air.