Yaesu FT-8800R Programming with CHIRP

Preparation

The clone feature of the radio is used to send the current memory contents to CHIRP and to receive updates from CHIRP. The timing and sequencing can be a little tricky the first few times you fumble through the process. And after a few cycles it becomes second nature.

The following instructions are directly from the FT8800 manual with pictures added, and instructions on what to do with CHIRP.

Connect to the radio

Connect the cloning cable to the computer and radio and wait for the operating system to download and install the driver. Or if the version of O/S used does not support this capability. Manually install the driver for your specific USB to radio cable.

Entering Clone Mode

Power on the radio while holding the LEFT V/M key.

Front panel of FT-8800R

What you should see on power up while holding the V/M key.

Rotate the right top knob until “Clone Start” is displayed.

Front panel of FT-8800R

Pressing set at this point will put the radio in Clone mode.

Press the SET key, the screen will go blank and return to “CLONE”

Front panel of FT-8800R

Radio is in Clone mode.

At this point you are setup to either upload a memory config to the radio or download a memory config from the radio. If this is the first time you are connecting to CHIRP you will want to first download the radio into CHIRP so you have something to edit.

1. Chris says:

Would like to know if it’s possible to have, using Chirp, to upload to 8800 showing the VFO frequency instead of the Call, Thanks, Chris

• Jay Duthler says:

Not that I am aware of, need to hold the “Low” key on the right or left side to toggle the mode. And depending on if you have changed the purposes of the P1 to P4 keys on the mic you can also use the P4 key to toggle between Freq and Name.

2. Neil says:

Followed your instructions to the letter and everything worked first time out! Thanks

3. Darrrell Fevergeon KD6WWK says:

Jay, Sure would appreciate your input. I have a new FT8800. Hooked up a new cable from “Valley “. It seemed to download the 2 frequencies I had manually input. Then, after repeated attempts, checks of cable, power off/on etc, I cannot get past “Clone Start” by pressing the set key. Just two quick chirps and nothing more.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

So it worked once for you as you were able to download the two manually input freqs? Since that occurrence pressing the “set” button at the clone start screen results in a beep? Does the screen change and what button are you pressing?

Jay

• Darrrell Fevergeon KD6WWK says:

The screen stays at “CLONE START” Just two short beeps. When I hold set again, I sometimes get one longer beep. But, it refuses to go to “CLONE”.

4. Darrrell Fevergeon KD6WWK says:

Sorry, I was pressing the “set” button only.

Darrell,

I was probing to ensure that you are pressing the correct button, the set button is the one in the middle. I sold my 8800 several months back upgraded to a FTM400 so I am unable to attempt to reproduce your particular problem. If you are using the correct button I would give Yaesu customer service a ring.

73, Jay

5. Rick says:

6. Gene Harmon K8GEH says:

Can I use these same steps to program my 7900 with CHIRP?

Gene,

I researched this a little and the 7900 is supported by Chirp. Looking at the manual for the radio it has a clone function which is leveraged by Chirp if you have the correct cable. One of the keys process items with Chirp is to clone from the radio as a first step as this is how Chirp learns what sort of radio is connected.

Good Luck and 73, Jay