FT-450D WSTJ-X Config

Setting up WSJT-X can be be a struggle if all the hardware and settings do not align. Based on a question by a reader a quick post on what has been working for me.

Recommendations

• Avoid Prolific USB cables, too easy to get a clone and have issues with drivers. I am very happy with the Gearmo adapter, while it is a few bucks more than a plain cable the diagnostic LED’s are a wonderful aid. You will also need a straight Female to Female cable to convert the connector gender to what the radio and the USB cable need.
  • If you can solder make up your own audio cables, no need to lay out $$$ for a ham marketed external sound card. This is not hard to do, make your own.

Shopping list.

FT450D Settings

1. CAT RTS Disable
  2. CAT TOT 10
  3. CAT Rate 38400

WSJT-X Setup

Your serial port # may vary from my environment. Once you mimic the settings below, pressing the “Test CAT” should get you a “Green” success.

I use an external USB sound card as I detailed in a separate posting.

Do it yourself Yaesu FT-450D Digital interface

The audio settings are simple to config chose the Microphone and Speakers which are appropriate to your setup. You will need to adjust the levels on both the input and output.

On your task bar you should have a speaker icon. Right click on this and select recording or playback devices, you will need to review both.

I have selected recording and a dialog similar to below will be displayed.

Adjust the level of the device as needed to bring the levels in the desired range in WSJT-X. The WSJT-X application has controls to adjust TX and RX levels, you do not want to run those controls at either extreme. Adjust these levels to achieve that.

Also ensure that the radio sound card is not the “Default Device” or “Default Communications Device”

Until next time

73 Jay

1. John W9QP says:

Evening Jay,

Got everything hooked up and I am making some headway with JT65. Now I do have Rig control, receive is working fine. Under settings when I hit the Test Cat it does turn green now.

One problem I still have, when I try to transmit I get now RF power out as shown on the FT-450 meter. Any suggestions on what that problem may be?

I really appreciate your time Jay, you have been very helpful.

Thank you.
    John

John,

If you hear the radio switch into TX mode with no power out your problem is in the audio path. Ensure that the proper output device is selected in WSJT-X. If the radio is not entering TX, check the radio config and ensure that PTT is set to CAT. You also have the knobs on the Signalink to worry about, be very careful not to overdrive on TX, your objective is no as in zero ALC. Set your TX power level to 30 watts or so and watch the ALC level, none is the objective.

73, Jay

• John W9QP says:

Hi Jay,

I am using the Signalink Interface in my setup. When I changed the PTT Method from CAT to VOX I got RF Power out. I made my first FT8 contact this afternoon on 40 meters.

Thank you again for your advice and hand holding through this process.

Very 73,
        John W9QP

John,

Makes sense I forgot you had set the radio to PTT Vox “PTT Method – Vox”. Have fun hope to work you sometime.

73, Jay

2. John says:

Hi Jay,

Just a quickie question, when using my FT450D for digital modes USB is highlighted on the radio, when transmitting it goes to USB Data then back to USB on receive. Is this the normal operation, seems to be working fine?

Thanks again.
    John W9QP

John,

Is the WSJT-X settings, radio tab ensure you have FT-450 selected as the radio, and Mode set to Data/Pkt, PTT set to CAT and the correct speed. If Mode is none then the radio will stay in whatever mode you select via the front panel. Setting to Data/PKT will put the radio in USB DATA.

73, Jay